Sunday, December 03, 2006

3 Bike Parts I'm Really Glad I Don't Ride Anymore.

I was back at my parents' house for thanksgiving and I happened to notice some of the old bike parts in the garage. I'm by no means a vet but I've been riding for 8 years and these are 3 of the parts I rode in my early days that I'm really glad I don't have to deal with anymore and what they've been replaced by.



S&M Castillo Bars. My first pair of "real" bars. I think I paid like 70 bucks for these things ( the closest bike shop to my house had a really ridiculous mark up which I didn't realize at the time ). I rode them for around 4 years. Super low, cut ridiculously short, pretty much no sweep.

Replaced by Sunday Triumph bars ( the light Slam Bar rip offs ). In comparison they are super tall, super long, have some sweep and are outlandishly light. SCORE!



The Ditchfork. I bought these in 10th grade when I had finally bent my stock Schwinn forks' dropout to the point where I couldn't ride my wheel anywhere close to straight. I had no brakes and no plans to ever ride brakes but I still bought a fork with 990 mounts. Why? I don't know. I just didn't care. I broke the bolt off on the right inside the peg boss trying smith to feeble stalls behind Walgreens a year or two later. They were ridiculously heavy and the peg bosses were basically retarded.

In contrast, now I rock Odyssey race forks. About a trillion pounds lighter and somehow I haven't bent the dropouts in the past year of riding them despite being super thin.



The 45 tooth sprocket.
Everybody likes to act like the small sprocket craze is just a trend, but fuck that. I bent so many of these things learning to grind that it's not even funny. I used to break my chain basically every day because my sprocket would scrape ledges while I did grinds and every time I messed up I would smash the sprocket and inevitably bend it. I will say in their favor though that they enabled the sprocket stall/sprocket stall barspin craze, and that was awesome.

Now I ride a 28 tooth Metal sprocket. I think it actually is bent right now, but at least it doesn't touch when I grind and it's obviously much much lighter.

I'll mail out a free Come Up longsleeve to the first person to name off all of the sprockets in that photo in the forum. Or at least whoever comes closer because I'm pretty sure that there's one that nobody will be able to get.

Comment on this post by clicking here.

0 comments: