Thursday, October 12, 2006

Van Homan Interview



Van's always been one of my favorite riders so I was pretty happy to get the chance to interview him. I did this like 2 months ago so I hadn't seen his new Fit part and he wasn't even done filming it, so those questions are a little dated. If you have any other questions for him, leave them in the comments and if they aren't totally retarded I'll try to get him to answer them. Also I have absolutely no idea where this picture came from.


1) You're probably either done or close to done with your Fit video part which is a pretty big deal since you haven't had a real video part since Criminal Mischief besides your TIP part. Did you travel anywhere special to film and do you feel like you accomplished everything you wanted to get done?


Well I have been busy with plenty of projects over the years following the C.M. days Including a Ride interview, a video section in "Parts", a Props interview, Transworld interview and the Tip part you mentioned to name a few. I don't feel at all like I've just been sitting on my past accomplishments. However, I do understand that C.M. is more of a stand out part in most peoples minds and with the release of Fit life being highly anticipated, expectations are high. I'm trying not to think about it to much. I just want to put out something thats solid that i can be proud of and i think i've done that. You always feel like you could have done a little more but thats just what drives you that never goes away.

2) It seems like Little Devil has really been kind of quiet since Criminal Mischief. I still see a lot of new designs from them but I haven't heard anything about a new video or anything, are there plans for that?


Yeah L.D. has been a little quiet. A lot of that has to do with Derek trying to get Orchid up and running. All his time and focus was and still is wrapped up in that so its really hard for him to foucus on a video. We did those couple Roadtrips that were in the bonus of the Collectors edition DVD but thats about it. In the near future we are going to be putting short videos up on the web from time to time. Its all about the web these days. As far as a full length video. Well who know hopefully eventually it will happen.

3) What kind of riding are you into lately? Do you still do stuff that scares you often or are you a little bit more laid back since you've had a bunch of injuries over the years?


I go through phases with my riding. Right now i am in a street phase for sure. Thats all I have been wanting to Ride. I have been loving being back in my home town and riding street everyday. i like hitting the local spots and getting creative. I have a hand full of clips from my home town in fit life and im pretty excited about them. just flowing kind of stuff. I still scare my self now and then. You get over injuries after a while and you have to push yourself.

4) What's up with this new shop you started? What's your goal with it?


Well there are two goals. The first and most important is to create somthing cool for kids who ride bmx. There really aren't many "BMX" shops. Its all just bike shops and as far as im concerned we don't ride bikes, we ride BMX so we need a BMX shop. The second goal is to eventually be able to live off of the shop. I'm not trying to get rich off of it but it would be nice if it could support me after im done being a pro rider. Also we plan to have lots of events at the shop so keep your eyes out.

5) Do you see this shop interfering with your life as a pro rider? How much longer do you guess you'll be riding professionally for?

Its a sacrifice for sure but i felt like the timing was right. I feel like I can do both right now. I would like to ride pro at least till im 30. Hopefully when i don't feel like i have anything more to offer as a pro I will be able to just step down and then foucus all my efforts towards the store.

6) The FIT team has expanded a bunch lately, namely adding Tom White, Eddie Cleaveland and Chase Dehart. Have you gotten a chance to ride with any of those guys yet?


Yeah I have ridden with both Tom and Chase on a number of occasions. Both are rippers and really good kids. I havn't really gotten a chance to ride with Eddie but I've talked to him a bunch online and he seems really cool. I really dig Eddies style, I think he too was a great addition to the Fit team.

7) It's been noted in quite a few magazines that you're a big poker player, do you still play a lot and what do you consider your main accomplishments with it?

I've been playing a lot less poker lately. I still enjoy a good game now and then but I'm not a feind anymore. Things just got to busy with riding/moving/starting up Two by Four. I would consider my main accolishment is making more then i've lost playing cards.

8) What other bike riders do you view as a real challenge to play poker against?

Liegh Ramsdell is a good card player and DMC has some skills as well.

9) Do you have any experience playing poker online and how did that go?

Yeah I play online. Mostly $20 tourneys. I put $150 in a while ago. It goes up and down, I think its at around $700 at the moment. I think im going to take that money out and use it for this years vegas trip.

10) I'm pretty sure you're the only person to ever do a barspin to over-grind on a rail. Have you done that trick since the first time you did it and do you think it's going to catch on and become normal eventually?


Well I'm not the only one. I know Josh Harrington has done it with ease just recently and I wouldn't be surprised if there are others. I haven't done another one yet but I plan to one of these days haha. I guess I'm kind of slacking on that one.

11) Do you still ride your garage much? Do you still find new lines and things to do in there?


Nah, I don't ride the garage anymore. The garage has been gone for a while. I don't even live in that house anymore. ( Ed note: LOL @ me not knowing that ) I'm glad I got a chance to build the garage it was a great time and a dream fullfilled.

12) Does your shop have a team? If so, who and if not, how come?


Yup the Two by Four pro team is Brian Wiz, Geoff Slattery, Cesar Monzon, Randy Brown and Garrett Byrnes. The working class team is Andy Carr, Trey Lampe, Gannwear and Cody Jennings.

Id like to that Samantha, my parents, Little Devil, Orchid, Fit, Duo and everyone how has been a friend to me or helped me out over the years. You know who you are.

0 comments: